Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fish and Beethoven

I had the pleasure, on the weekend, of visiting my friends Mr and Mrs Tedium at their home. They had taken delivery of a piano during the week and I was keen to give it a thorough test-run.

So in between generous presentations of garfish and greens, tasty wine, flowing banter and rocking Sebadoh, I laboured to recall my repertoire as I played for my hosts.

It has been many years since I've had ready access to a piano: my own cannot fit in my little terrace house and I still miss it. Time — as it does, the bastard — has sapped away my powers.

I tried to play Beethoven's Pathétique but couldn't even remember enough to get out of the ‘grave’ introduction to the first movement.

I tried to play a Schubert sonata and got almost to the end of the exposition before my memory failed me (my technique had failed me long before but I bravely carried on).

I tried to play some of Khachaturian's delicious piano concerto and was rather pleased with how much of the first cadenza I'd remembered.

I didn't try to play any Billy Joel as UT was demanding.

The piano has a somewhat heavy touch and will need a good tuning up but sounds great, looks great and is tremendous fun to play. I'm sure the Tediums will enjoy it.

I pulled out my own keyboard last night, tried a piece or two and just wept at the plastic soulless thing. There is no comparison. Perhaps I can find room for my piano in my kitchen? Surely I don't need to eat as much as I need to play piano.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger silky-D said...

if you picked up the piles of clothing on your bedroom floor you'd have room for a baby grand.

22/5/07 14:52  
Blogger Paddy said...

The point you bring up shows not that I would have plenty of room if I wasn't so slobbish, but that my home is so small that not even my clothes fit in it.

Secondly, when did you turn into my mother?

22/5/07 15:50  
Blogger silky-D said...

I just want to see you live your dream.

22/5/07 15:53  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

There is an open invitation to swap garfish for beethoven.

23/5/07 13:10  
Blogger silky-D said...

you'd just better hope I don't take it up

23/5/07 14:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home