Sunday, April 22, 2007

A new axe swings...

I have returned from my tour of regional Victoria having eaten too much margarine, drunk too much instant coffee and listened to too much golden oldies radio. Believe me, I am ready to resume the rock. For my week-long roadtrip I grabbed a handful of CDs on my way out the door but unfortunately several of the covers did not have the actual discs in them (a nasty habit of mine that Mrs squid does not approve of). The result? I had working copies of The White Album, Astral Weeks and Squid Ink's underrated, limited-release bootleg John Barleycorn Must Live (nobody responded to my hilarious suggestion that we name it Hinny's Democracy so I'll chalk that up as a loss).

Needless to say the comparison with these classic albums was somewhat humbling and, as already been pointed out here, listening revealed a legion of errors (and I'm not talking about George's playing on While My Guitar Gently Weeps). But I felt we stood up well to some pretty stiff competition. To my mind Crossbreed and Mrs Bun rocked the house while, lyrical slips aside, Hinny had a certain something. I, it seems, need to work a little harder at coming in on the right beat (or at least on a neighbouring beat). Back in town and facing some work-life disappointment that I won't share here I resorted to retail therapy and went guitar shopping. After some serious road-testing I settled on the pictured axe, an Epiphone Jorma Kaukonen Riviera Deluxe, with some rather ostentatious gold pickups, dual humbuckers and an attractive Bigsby vibrato that I fell for hard but will probably seldolm use. (check out a review here)

It was sold to me by a lovely fellow at Gallins who had questionable underarm hygiene (as my nostrils saw it anyway) but a great passion for guitars. Came with a fetching professor-ish tweed case. It did mean I broke one of the foundation rules I set for myself (never buy a guitar with an autograph on it). Amusingly, I have never been a fan of Jefferson Airplane - that may now have to change. My favourite moment of the day came whe I sought Tedium's sage advice. 'He's a guitar nerd, he will know if this is a good move,' I proclaimed to my brother-in-law.
I called him, feeling slightly guilty about the public nerd slur. 'Hello,' he said. 'Sorry to bother,' I said, 'Am I interrupting anything important?'

'Not really,' he said. 'I'm just downloading some Windows updates.'
ROCK!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Hmm...public slurs indeed. Looks like an absolute ball-tearer. I think the fat semi sound will be just the ticket. I was in fact downloading windows updates and gave poor advice because I was midway through an arguement with the love of my life and a bit distracted from my usually unshakeable guitar nerdery. To complete this rock fantasy, I was actually attampting sort out a dual boot laptop of windows and linux for my brother. For those of you who must know...windows is refusing to find the centrino wireless device where as Ubuntu 6.0.6 found it immediately. Normally i am a windows defender but I have been terribly let down on this occasion.
Back to the axe. Fat guitar. Fat pickups. Fat guy at gallins (just a guess)...great news!!!

22/4/07 13:27  
Blogger daveborg said...

Need to get all AC/DC on that baby...huge string gauge is the only way to go. And the action needs to be measured in inches.

29/4/07 15:55  
Blogger gigglewick said...

which gallins????

(trying to guess which mystery hygiene dude it is of whom you speak)

GW

4/5/07 17:58  
Blogger silky-D said...

I feel now that I should remain vague on this topic, not as any disrespect to GW but out of a desire not to slander someone who, it must be said, was geninely lovely and helpful. It was the end of a busy workday and who among us has not been guilty of the occasional underarm crime after a long day at the coalface? Plus, I still have to take the axe back for my free set-up. I can't possibly jeopardise that.

4/5/07 23:00  
Blogger silky-D said...

BTW, Jorma Kaukonen will be playing the Adelaide Guitar Festival this year and Silky's dad - who loved Jorma's fiddly work in Hot Tuna - will be attending. If JK aint playing the epiphone that bears his name there's gunna be a showdown when I found out.

4/5/07 23:09  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I should clarify also:

1. Love the dudes at Gallins inasmuch as I know them

2. Not at all surprised that they were lovely and helpful

3. Live with a guitar nerd - am very used to this.

4. The music industry offers very little for free, and you are right to preserve your god-given right to after-sales service.

5. Bigsbys (? not sure if that is the correct spelling of a plural for "bigsby") are indeed great, but as you point out, rarely used unless you happen to find yourself in a Chris Isaak cover-band.

GW

8/5/07 16:31  
Blogger silky-D said...

'unless you happen to find yourself in a Chris Isaak cover-band'

ah, GW, don't go planting ideas in my head. 'Tis a wicked game you play.

8/5/07 16:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home