Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Inter-species carnality blues

The orgy of slightly odd songwriting continues. This is somethng that came to me in the car this morning on the way to work. So just lyrics at the moment with a basic melody.

It unashamedly picks up on the band/doug's obsession with inter species breeding and could be a sort of companion piece for Hinny (though will obviously never hit the heights of that particular number)

I see the verses unfolding in a slowish "sex jam" kinda way but with a rolling, heavier chorus and a big riff...

v.1
When the li-on, meets the tiger
he says I feel it for you baby.
I'd like to get inside ya

You'll be my lady,
I'll be your man,
ruler of your jungle
and a mighty Afri-can

Chorus:
Girl my love for you is ripe
a woman of a different stripe
they say our love's a crime of nature
I can't fight the urge to mate ya

v.2
Next time he sees her
she's acting funny
She says sit down over here
we need to talk, honey

You know that
you drive me wild
but now I am the bearer
of our freaky outcast child

Chorus
Boy my love for you's insane
a cool cat with a hot mane
they say our love's a crime of nature
I can't fight the urge to mate ya

v.3
No-one cares for
a baby Lyger
grossly oversized
and neither lion nor a tiger

conceived in passion
but born in sin
his seed sterile, the world hostile
and there's no love for him

Chorus
Child there's nothing we can do
but hand you over to the zoo
this pride can't bear to see your face
a lonely cage will be your place

5 Comments:

Blogger Paddy said...

A woman of a different stripe. I love it.

6/9/06 16:15  
Blogger silky-D said...

ooh you are kind...

6/9/06 16:20  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

I wish Paddy hadn't already highlighted the "woman of a different stripe" line as it is excellent. I love the narrative. My songs tend to describe snapshot where yours clearly takes us on a journey through their relationship and its consequences.

6/9/06 22:29  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Also...what's a sex jam?

6/9/06 22:30  
Blogger silky-D said...

hmmmm... you mean that only passes for street slang in my head?
by sex jam I mean it should have a kind of slow and sensual syncopation in the verses.
the vocal could go one of two ways: either a prince-style falsetto or a Tom Waits kinda growl (or maybe bit of both)
but the chorus would be straight up robert plant...
and yes, my songwriting is quite strightforward narratively and and not very impressionistic.
I admire the other type -- I just can't do it that way. I'm a straightforward kinda dude.

6/9/06 23:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home