Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Calamari code

A certain member of the band has long been readying himself (and his inner suburban home) for the glorious moment when the great chief squid descends to earth from the outer reaches of the cosmos. Being more circumspect, I always felt our eight-legged future overlords would first attempt to communicate with us from afar. While laid up of late, I've taken to tackling the cryptic crossword in my preferred quality broadsheet newspaper. The last couple of days, something weird appears to be happening.

On Monday, I squealed with delight at the clue for 10 across:
Beats me! Tip off? (5)
The answer, of course, is Tempi - one of Paddy's favourite words and a subject of considerable consternation on this blog at certain times during the past year.

I texted the clue to p-borg who, being the intellectual powerhouse of the band, diverted his attention for just a few moments from the enthralling final of the World Cup chess event in Siberia (where America's Gata Kamsky was towelling up his opponent with a neat twist on the Sicilian defence) to fire back the correct answer.

I thought nothing of it until this morning I clapped my eyes on 27 across:
Someone like you has sort of crimson liquor (7,6)
While Paddy mulled it over, courtesy of a timely facebook message from myself, I filled in the letters and gasped as I grasped the emerging secret communique. The answer, of course, is Kindred spirit.

Close fans of the ink would know that the band has only just reconvened after an injury-enforced layoff. For rehab-related reasons we have exchanged our regular digs at Richmond's Midian Studios for an (acoustically poor) room at Yarraville's Kindred Studios.

We met as Kindred spirits last week and tempi were fairly average (as was everything else, mind you). Methinks the grand squid emperor won't be coming down here until we offer up a considerably hotter brand of rock.

Will keep you posted on any new communications.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Uncanny. I have texted my wife this very minute to warn the local furry squids to stand ready. Many things impress me about my fellow bandmates...their haircuts, how hard they rock, how long they can take to produce album artwork, and now their ability with cryptic crosswords. How did you know you had to re-arrange me and tip to make tempi? What on earth does crimson have to do with the answer? Does it provide an R??? There are many words that could provide an R...I have one for you:

Dullard in a band(6)

19/12/07 20:32  
Blogger silky-D said...

Someone like you has sort of crimson liquor

ok. I'm hesitant to dissect this too much as it is a rather inferior clue, truth told, and not very representatrive of the great art that a finely wrought cryptic can be. But I'll break it down for ya anyway.

the first part is the answer (someone like you is a kindred spirit). The second part is basic word substitution: sort of=kind crimson=red and liquor=spirit.

In answer to your first question, the key word is 'off' which suggests the existence of an anagram.

And, yes, Paddy's new haircut is pretty cool. Don't think I hadn't noticed.

your clue has me vexed (the only answer I can come up with is drummer and that seems unfair and also has seven letters)

but i reply with:

a type of right northern frontman (6)

19/12/07 21:13  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

As you may of guessed mine wasn't really a clue (the answer was Modern but there is no way to get there...you have insulted both Crafty and me with your vile mind). I have spent a good hour on your clue when i should have been contemplating Avaya's Unified Communications portfolio and still I am no closer.
I will keep trying and here is real effort from me:


A festival of poison's rose store (10)

20/12/07 13:46  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

may have guessed...how embarassing.

20/12/07 13:51  
Blogger silky-D said...

thornstock

and mine was also modern.

20/12/07 14:12  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Well done. Hmmmm...I even had the answer and still couldn't get there...dullard indeed.

20/12/07 14:25  
Blogger silky-D said...

incidentally, today's 6 down:

Awfully vain to go after a substitute for great applause (8,7)

comes out as Standing ovation (the latter part an anagram of vain to go, with the unneeded g tagging onto a synonym for substitute (standin)

all of this makes me wonder whether the squid emperor might actually be trying to communicate with Elton John rather than ourselves. Apparently his back to back shows at Werribee Mansion this week were well received.

20/12/07 15:14  
Blogger silky-D said...

and one to keep everyone busy... first to answer wins a mystery prize.

extreme carnality around a rude vessel brings forth an indolent printmaker (6)

20/12/07 15:21  
Blogger Paddy said...

That was quite a crafty clue there, Silky.

20/12/07 15:30  
Blogger Paddy said...

One of the lovely Lady Squids and I actually attended one of the Elton John Crocodile Rocks The Werribee Mansion gigs. Just about every song received a standing ovation - not just from the audience but also from Elton himself.

20/12/07 15:34  
Blogger silky-D said...

I bet he didn't do either 'Dirty little girl' or 'Jamaica Jerkoff'. Elton has abandoned all the edgy material and sold out imho. Did you at least get Tiny Dancer?

20/12/07 15:40  
Blogger Paddy said...

Tiny Dancer went off like a rocket, man.

20/12/07 15:44  
Blogger silky-D said...

I feel badly about my use of the word 'indolent' and now wish to withdraw it. Especially since I've spent the past two months lying on the couch watching daytime tv.

21/12/07 10:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home