Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Santa's sack stinks

Sometimes, when I move about in the world, dudes say things like 'it must be cool to get sent cds to review and never have to pay for them.' In response I sometimes say 'It's fine, but it's not as cool as you think. You get sent a lot of shit.'

The dudes tend to roll their eyes, and I kind of understand why. Which is why I thought I'd give a little insight into a day in the mail life of Silky-D. Yesterday I got a hot little parcel of CDs from Sony BMG, Australia's market-leading music publishing company. This was it, the pick of their upcoming releases for the key christmas/holiday season.
Here's what I got:
1)Piano Man: The Very Best of Billy Joel (with ltd edition DVD)
2)Dave Matthews Band: The Best of the Dave Matthews Band (this is a double album)
3)Guy Sebastian: Closer to the sun
4)George Michael: Twenty Five Greatest Hits
5)Dixie Chicks: Taking the long way
6)Jamiroquai: Singles 1992-2006 (also features two new tracks)
7)David Campbell: The Swing Sessions

And they say that the internet is killing the music industry. As an independent part-time music critic I strongly reccomend that Sony sign up Squid Ink immediately and rush out a Christmas release ASAP. Working title: 'Santa bring my hinny back (to me)' By the way, I'm wondering if we shouldn't do a swing album after we let the market cool down following our well received Motown covers series.

10 Comments:

Blogger silky-D said...

In a pleasing development, a colleague of mine, having just returned from the launch of foxtel's new Country Music Channel, gave me a handful (11) of Country Music Channel souvenir plectrums. They are yellow and kind of a little slippery, but will do the trick if I'm called on for a banjo solo any time soon.
I repaid him with a gift of the Dixie Chicks album, which he warmly received. Felt good to get it off my desk.

22/11/06 16:09  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Could it be that the album Took The Long Way to your colleague?

22/11/06 16:16  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Also...tell us more about these new Jamouriqui songs. What strange and fanciful new direction has this musical chameleon taken?

22/11/06 16:21  
Blogger silky-D said...

well, I think you're going to be pretty excited here. According to the liner notes, 'Runaway' is: "glistening disco shimmy" while the other track, 'Radio' is described as a "filthy swagger."
I prefer to fall back on my preexisting prejudice and have no plans to listen to either. But I am considering putting BJ's 'Uptown Girl' on my ipod for old time's sake.

22/11/06 16:26  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Interestingly, I would have gone for the raw lyrical emotion of Matter of Trust. This is a middle-aged man cutting himslef open for all to see. If the impassioned count-in doesn't move you I am quite sure nothing will.

22/11/06 16:32  
Blogger silky-D said...

Nope. It's:
1)Uptown Girl
2)Only the good die young
3)Still rock and roll to me

and then daylight fourth...
matter of trust is too dirgy for my tastes.

22/11/06 16:39  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

I must confess that Matter Of Trust makes it on to my list of all time worst songs and all time worst performances. I can't keep up the facade...I despise it with a passion that is pure. I have always come down on the Elton side of the arguement. BJ is a tool. He's right behind Bono on the list of people who need a cock punch.

22/11/06 16:46  
Blogger silky-D said...

dude, don't even compare him with Elton. BJ isn't even in the hunt. I've always thought such comparisons were egregiously unfair to EJ and appear to be based on little more than the fact that both play piano and have toured together in a misjudged stadium rock tour.
I'd go.
1)Elton John
2)Daylight
3)Liberace/Richard Clayderman
4)Billy Joel
5)That guy from The Whitlams. who also need a cock punch.

22/11/06 17:06  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

Hmmmm...where does Ben Folds figure?

22/11/06 17:08  
Blogger silky-D said...

hmmm... rankings may need some more development.
I'd say he'd be locked mid table in a three-way smackdown with Franz Liszt and Jerry Lee Lewis with the killer probably taking it for 6th spot.
What the fuck do I know?

22/11/06 17:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home