Sunday, September 20, 2009

Guitar Gulag and Other Essays

Clarence White...so tremendously overlooked. He even invented the b-bender. You can take your early era birds and that 8 Miles High shite and blow it out your patooti. David Crosby was, and remains (when Gene Clark is gone...where's the justice, where's the sense?) an annoying, worthless swine. Clarence soared, picked, twiddled and thrilled. Speed, grace, fire and skill. Dead early and with some great face art. It would be mean not to give my fav guitarist spot to Thommo but Clarence is up there. He never ceases bend my mind with his B string. The Byrds Live at the Filmore East is an end-to-end masterclass.

Fluffy furnished me, via some sordid practices at a major department store and the price of a coffee at a way-too-hip-for-a-guy-dressed-as-a-bank-teller-wearing-a-fleece cafe (I suspect they would be really upset to be called a cafe but I don't know what else to call it), with an imac. This has prompted the change to garageband from my hitherto lifelong devotion to cakewalk. Garageband is certainly a neat piece of software that confuses grumpy old gen Xers like me by trying to get me to pay for Norah Jones to teach me how to play one of her songs...or John Foggerty (but only Proud Mary. Where is Effigy sir!?)...or Sting (clearly the imac has not probed my mind to hear the contents of my poem Listening To Sting, as surely it would not offer him to me?), when all I really want to do is record me whining along to mah geetah. By gum does it make it easy to do that. Paddy is all analogue, which is ironic as there could never be an analogue of the inimitable Paddy (and once again Happy Birthday for yesterday). When I probed the home of he and his partner (knowingly maintaining the mystique of the blog and its reader) last month I found that he had recorded a tone-poem representation of a Silky meditation entirely on his four-track (still bearing the stickered name of his swift uncle on its housing). And I thought I was Gen X...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Paddy said...

I am neither sufficiently groovy nor hip to be using Garageband at this stage.

It is painfully noticeably that I am a dreadfully lazy musician and only play instruments in the home if they are really easy to grab. My bass has been packed away in the spot I put it the last time we all played together at the Brunswick Hotel. I play the piano a fair bit but that is already set up. Back when all I had was a keyboard I never touched it because to do so would require pulling it out and setting it up. I was always far too lazy to do that.

So too with software. It takes a bit of fiddling and to plug everything in and so it doesn't happen. I am ashamed.

22/9/09 17:26  
Blogger silky-D said...

If I read this right then it is something to do with Fluffy stealing you a new computer from Myers?

the rest is over my head.

I also have garageband, like UT.

Like Paddy, I never use it as I am lazy.

I did record a little riff thing for the version of the Pink diss song that I had in my head.

But Paddy now tells me he has composed a version of his own. His version he tells me sounds "like AC/DC only better."

This sounds a fair bit better than mine, which in truth I did not care for and thought reminded me a bit of Ben Lee or something similarly lame.

The lesson learned here is do not -- under any circumstances -- attempt whimsy if you do not know how to play your instrument properly.

Hot rock is the only way for the musically challenged.

I also like the live at Fillmore Album -- particularly Drugstore Truck Drivin Man -- which was, for a time, my favourite song when I was about six years old. It took over from Powderfinger by Neil Young.

I was a strange child, overly influenced by my father, I think.
I once made a mix tape when I was six that teamed Oh Well by the original -- sans hussies -- Fleetwood Mac, with Vienna by Ultravox and Always the Sun by The Stranglers.

Nowadays, I spose, it'd just be the wigges n shit.

22/9/09 17:46  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

What happened to the caged chord scales? The odd thing is I think I had been doing the caged chord business for some time...and I still struggle.

And Silky, what on earth do you mean that Hot Rock is the only way for the musically challenged? As the most prolific composer of hot rock in the genre's, albeit limited, history I take solid offence. Hot rock requires virtuosity, donner and blitzen.
I also like the ones Clarence White sings on Farther Along (bugler among others...I think he sings one of the bonus tracks on Byrdmaniax...but as the liner notes on the re-issue of Dr Byrd and Mr Hyde claim that album was White's time to shine. Also to White's credit he maintained a lifelong dislike for Gram Parsons, whom I love dearly but was clearly a reprehensible human being...the between song banter on the Live 1973 with the Fallen Angels is proof enough...Clarence had the misfortune of knowing the man personally rather than just the music).

My parent's influence lead to my earliest favourite song being Pegasus The Flying Horse by the Hollies which in another band incarnation I have made Paddy play, but never live. Also a rather unhappy memory of actively listening to Moody Blues records...as Hull's greatest export began a fine poem "They fuck you up your mum and dad"...and once more, good luck to you Hughie.

22/9/09 23:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home