Thursday, November 30, 2006

Squid Ink does Margaret and David...

Recently I happened to take in a pretty good movie, in DVD format, from the privacy of my corduroy couch. The Squid and The Whale is a top-notch piece of modern-day whimsy in the Wes Anderson style (Mr Anderson is actually the Executive Producer - whatever that means) and is a cut above the derivative stylings of pretenders to the genre like Garden State. I give it two thumbs up, four stars, and (for Modern Doug) no cock punches.

Not only is it well worth your coin, if you go to Video Ezy at Yarraville you can get it on New Release for just $1.95, Mondays and Wednesdays.

But the main reason I bring it into this forum is that it's the only film I can really think of in which both Pink Floyd and Squid feature as major facets of the plot. Anyone who has followed this blog will know just how relevant that makes it.

I commend this film to the band and its fans.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

I had no intention of seeing this film....but you say they mention Pink Floyd?...Any reference to particular albums or solo projects?

1/12/06 10:08  
Blogger Unrelenting Tedium said...

I have actually been thinking that instead of a second album Squid Ink make a film using Obscured By Clouds as the soundtrack. I realise this has been done by a Frenchman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069451/)but I reckon there are a few films in that album.

1/12/06 10:15  
Blogger silky-D said...

they don't mention pink floyd. PF is a major plot device in the film... to say more would be to say too much

1/12/06 12:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home