Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The meaning of Sibella

Well not really BUT RT is very rarely drawn on the meaning of songs and this is the most forthcoming I have seen him. The page is here but I copy the relevent selection for your reading pleasure (first the observant fan's question and then the big man's reponse)
Fan: I was watching the British classic "Kind Hearts and Coronets" over the weekend and was struck with the characteristics of the woman Sibella. This figure, in the film, is more or less the protagonist's "sweetheart" (though something of a perverse one) who eventually betrays him (multiple times) by first marrying a mutual friend and then by aptly framing the protagonist for a heinous crime of which he is unquestionably innocent. I must dissuade those who haven't seen the film from feeling too much sympathy for this slighted character, however -- he is responsible for a flurry of other felonies, whether he is blamed for them or not. Regardless...there aren't too many fictional entities bearing the moniker "Sibella"...other than, of course, the one from your brilliant tune. And so I wondered if perhaps the lyrics were a deft allusion to this great film -- a sort of modernization of the relationship between Louis (the twisted protagonist) and his deservedly cruel soulmate.

I'll refrain from a depthy cross-analysis of the lyrics against the film's themes so as to not reveal key plot points and spoil the cinematic gem for others. However, other than the intense longing in the chorus, I felt this line in particular was relevant...



"Life is just as deadly as it looks



But fiction is more forgiving"



Is it, now? I suppose the question is (if we view the line from the trajectory of "Kind Hearts"), to whom?



RT: I love Kind Hearts And Coronets. It is in my top 5 favourite films. I do get slightly weak at the knees at the sight of Joan Greenwood in period costume (see also The Importance Of Being Earnest), and having written a song called Cybele, it seemed only fitting to re-spell it in honour of J.G.’s performance. Aside from that, no parallels were intended with the film, but if you start the song and the film at the same time, smoke a few of those strange herbal cigarettes, and just keep looping the song over and over, it really plays with your head, man….




nb PBorg Please note the new HTML I have uncovered!

2 Comments:

Blogger Paddy said...

Ha! Blockquote! Very elegant work there my young padawan.

13/7/06 10:57  
Blogger silky-D said...

you mean it's NOT about the wife from Fawlty Towers?

14/7/06 08:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home